Monday, March 5, 2007

More Books


I love being a channel for books! People know me as a conduit for books for the Philippine elementary schools in remote provinces. Teaming up with Synergeia has facilitated delivery of the books even in the ARMM region and beyond. I am so excited for the pictures they will send us.

Books continue to pour in, magazines, too. I have tried to decline novels or history books but then it seemed such a waste. So now, I am exploring sending adult books to prison libraries here in the U.S or in the Philippines. Any suggestions?

In the meantime, blessings keep coming. My cousin, Franco, a professional graphic artist, sent me a logo he says I could use. Here it is, a candle under a rainbow. The rainbow feels like hope amidst diversity and distance.

I am making new friends in Craigslist, scouring the freebies some like to giveaway. I realize there are so many sources, I may never have to buy discount books again for this project.

I will post the Synergeia pics soon as they have advised me that the books have arrived already (after 1 month). Meanwhile, you might want to check out Asian HeroJohn Wood, once Microsoft China's number 2 man. He gave up his corporate career to bring 30,000 books to far flung provinces in China, consequently founding his Room to Read, providing children access to education, one child at a time, one school at a time, and one village at a time. Through partnerships with local communities they work to create educational opportunities and establish educational infrastructure. Their efforts are currently focused in Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, and South Africa - all countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. In addition to these countries, they continue to take on new countries and new projects each year.

Wow, what an isnpiration!